[GRASS-user] mossy grass seeds

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Feb 16 04:23:50 EST 2009

On 16/02/09 08:52, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> just curious: was "GRASS" just cheeky naming by a competing US Gov't GIS
>> team or was there tangled roots in the early days?
>
> Here are some pointers:
>
> * GRASS History II: GRASS Roots by Jim Westervelt (In Proc. Free/Libre
>   and Open Source Software for Geoinformatics: GIS-GRASS Users
>   Conference 2004, Sept. 12-14, Bangkok, Thailand, 2004)

And here it is:

"With a swelling of new customers, the need to maintain the software on
multiple computers running at multiple sites, we packaged our 20
programs and called the turn-key solution GRASS the Geographic Resource
Analysis Support System. The name continued a series of GIS names
based on plants: SAGE, a DOS-based GIS, and MOSS (Mapping Overlay
Statistical System), developed by The Bureau of Land Management (BLM)."

So, yes same as elm/pine etc.

Moritz