[GRASS-user] r.patch, images vs coloured elevation data, aerial photo mosaic

John Stevenson john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 06:35:48 EST 2009

Hi,

I have two questions, first a specific one, secondly a more general one.

1)  I have some aerial photos that I want to mosaic.  I am able to do
this with r.patch.  However, the photos only cover about half of the
region.  In the remainder of the region, I would like to show a shaded
relief map as a background to give context to the photos.  When I
include the shaded relief map in the list to patch, it comes out as
varying shades of red.  My question is therefore, what do I have to do
to the shaded relief map to turn it into an 'rgb image' that I can
include in r.patch.

2)  More generally, what is the best way of converting a good-looking
map into a georeferenced image e.g. by converting the elevation data
into rgb pixel colour data.  Currently I would use d.out.file then
gdal_translate, but that is dependent on the screen resolution.

Cheers

John

--

Dr John Stevenson