[GRASS-user] v.digit - new wiki page for migrators

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed Feb 18 08:53:58 EST 2009

A question from a very old GRASS-hand (I have used it since we got
Internet in Amsterdam in 1991, having downloaded and compiled it, with
the complete X-Window system, from a 9600-baud telephone line. Had even
to compile the gcc-compiler, since native AIX cc didn't like GRASS):

In the old, pre-6 v.digit, all commands were given by keyboard
shortcuts. That took some exercise, but once you had it in your fingers
(literally), you could digitize much faster than with the present
click-button interface. I would guess it isn't all too difficult to add
the old keyboard shortcuts to the system. Any idea from the developers
whether this could be done? I still have GRASS 5.7 running for
digitizing only. Beats every other package.

Jan

Dr. J. Hartmann
Department of Geography
University of Amsterdam