[GRASS-user] GRASS 7 and SQLITE o POSTGRES

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sat Feb 21 07:42:35 EST 2009

On 21/02/09 12:44, Gabriele N. wrote:
> Hi Benjamin, thanks for the reply.
> I read something about spatial lite.
>
> I work mainly with GRASS and thought to use it with SQLite because GRASS 7
> should be able to work directly on the SQLite for the geometries and the
> attributes (in short, without v.exeternal).
> I think, but I do not know if it is correct, that implementing a DB in
> SQLite might be possible to access data with GRASS 7, QGIS, gvSIG, etc...
> (my colleagues still do not use GRASS) .... but maybe it's only my  hope :-)

The SQLite support in GRASS concerns the attribute management, not
geometries. To access geometries in a SpatiaLite, you have to go through
v.external.

One of the main reasons is that GRASS vector format is topological and
SpatiaLite isn't. Most vector modules expect topological structure to work.

> With postgres/postgis I should always connect with v.external and I could
> not do spatial analysis using the tools of GRASS ... right?

Right, but it is the same for SpatiaLite.

Note that QGIS can access GRASS data directly (not sure about gvSIG) so
you can actually have your geometries in GRASS format and still work
with QGIS.

Moritz