[GRASS-user] Long post - Remote Sensing - Classifications

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 04:05:19 EST 2009

mitch wrote:
> GUI: I got stuck at the i.cluster window. How do I set the
> sampling interval values? I'm not allow to use any kind of character
> but numbers...how do I differentiate row and column value?
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2369388/sampling.png
>
> If I leave 1 value I get this error:
> ERROR: option <sample> must be provided in multiples
> of 2 You provided 1
> items:       50

that's a bug, it should let you give two values. --help says:
   [sample=row_interval,col_interval]

> I've notice that i.group window has been changed:
> shouldn't “Name of imagery sub-group” and “Name of the raster map(s)
> to include in group” be under the Required tab rather than Optional?

'group=name' is the only required option.

you can list maps in the group without adding any, so the subgroup and
input raster maps are not needed sometimes. also subgroup really is
optional.

btw (for better or worse) those required/optional groupings happen
automatically based on module requirements. I'm not really a fan of that
but others think it's a useful feature. shrug

> (don't get me wrong, I don't want to criticize in a “bad” way, it's
> because maybe you receive a lot of feedbacks about other parts and this
> module is not so used....I haven't seen so many Remote Sensing questions
> lately...that's why).

polite and researched feedback is always welcome!
once you are comfortable that an issue is really a bug, please file a
ticket, one for each issue. if just left in the mailing list it'll
more easily be forgotten in the noise.

> -Supervised- I couldn't figure out how to make it work.
> ...but nothing more than that. Shouldn't I be prompted
> to a display where I
> can draw my region of interest? (I don't know, maybe
> I'm expecting something that it's not supposed to be).

for sure old xmon based interactive monitors are gone for wxPy on Windows.

not sure about what to expect from these modules, but "supervised"
says to me some sort of map interaction is required...

> GUI:
> Imagery → Classify image → Interactive input for
> supervised classification
> (requires Xterm)

it doesn't just need an terminal window for the text based menu & data
entry, in needs an Xmonitor as well, which is unavailable in the native MS
Windows build.

> a blank Monitor display and a new shell appear and nothing
> else.

we need a better "sorry, won't work on MS Windows (so far)" error message
there.

> Are all of the GUI issues due to this
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Imagery_tools

perhaps better stated as "redevelopment not started in earnest yet, Some behind-the-scenes code has been prepared, but not much. Volunteers welcome!"

Hamish