[GRASS-user] Long post - Remote Sensing - Classifications

mitch reflexeos at yahoo.it
Wed Feb 25 21:06:40 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 01:05 -0800, Hamish wrote:
> mitch wrote:
> > GUI: I got stuck at the i.cluster window. How do I set the
> > sampling interval values? I'm not allow to use any kind of character
> > but numbers...how do I differentiate row and column value?
> >
> > http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2369388/sampling.png
> >
> > If I leave 1 value I get this error:
> > ERROR: option <sample> must be provided in multiples
> > of 2 You provided 1
> > items:       50
>
> that's a bug, it should let you give two values. --help says:
>    [sample=row_interval,col_interval]

got it.

> > I've notice that i.group window has been changed:
> > shouldn't “Name of imagery sub-group” and “Name of the raster map(s)
> > to include in group” be under the Required tab rather than Optional?
>
> 'group=name' is the only required option.
>
> you can list maps in the group without adding any, so the subgroup and
> input raster maps are not needed sometimes. also subgroup really is
> optional.
>
> btw (for better or worse) those required/optional groupings happen
> automatically based on module requirements. I'm not really a fan of that
> but others think it's a useful feature. shrug

I see what you're saying

> > (don't get me wrong, I don't want to criticize in a “bad” way, it's
> > because maybe you receive a lot of feedbacks about other parts and this
> > module is not so used....I haven't seen so many Remote Sensing questions
> > lately...that's why).
>
> polite and researched feedback is always welcome!
> once you are comfortable that an issue is really a bug, please file a
> ticket, one for each issue. if just left in the mailing list it'll
> more easily be forgotten in the noise.
>

> > -Supervised- I couldn't figure out how to make it work.
> > ...but nothing more than that. Shouldn't I be prompted
> > to a display where I
> > can draw my region of interest? (I don't know, maybe
> > I'm expecting something that it's not supposed to be).
>
> for sure old xmon based interactive monitors are gone for wxPy on Windows.
>
> not sure about what to expect from these modules, but "supervised"
> says to me some sort of map interaction is required...
>
> > GUI:
> > Imagery → Classify image → Interactive input for
> > supervised classification
> > (requires Xterm)
>
> it doesn't just need an terminal window for the text based menu & data
> entry, in needs an Xmonitor as well, which is unavailable in the native MS
> Windows build.
>
> > a blank Monitor display and a new shell appear and nothing
> > else.
>
> we need a better "sorry, won't work on MS Windows (so far)" error message
> there.

Is the wxPyhton GUI supposed to be run only on Windows?
I guess not..right?
http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/trunk/gui/wxpython/README
because I'm runnig this magic on Lenny ;-) (I actually got the 6.4
version from Sid repository).

> > Are all of the GUI issues due to this
> > http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Imagery_tools
>
> perhaps better stated as "redevelopment not started in earnest yet, Some behind-the-scenes code has been prepared, but not much. Volunteers welcome!"

I would if I could but I don't have the required knowledge (I planned to
learn a bit of Pyhton though, so maybe one of these days).

> Hamish

Since I'm here I'll use the same post to ask you another thing:
is there any way in GRASS to link different map displays and have a
"brushing" (update while dragging) or even a static d.what.rast?

Thanks,
mitch