[GRASS-user] Long post - Remote Sensing - Classifications

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 23:46:06 EST 2009

mitch wrote:
> > > a blank Monitor display and a new shell appear and nothing
> > > else.
Hamish:
> > we need a better "sorry, won't work on MS Windows (so far)" error
> > message there.

[better: patch the native windows build to grey those out in the menu]

> Is the wxPyhton GUI supposed to be run only on Windows?

oops, sorry, I thought I remembered from an earlier post you were trying
this for a Windows computer lab.

ok so from the command line 'd.mon x0' should work to open a monitor,
and you could try the steps first from the command line (keep it simple).
If all works there you can move to trying launching it from a GUI.
i.class will always want to run in an xmon + console though.

this gets i.class working for me using the sample Spearfish imagery dataset:

g.region rast=spot.comp
d.mon x0
d.rast spot.comp

# need to do following in this order to get the r,g,b bands in correct
#  order in the group/$GROUP/REF file  (??) I'm not really sure.

# create group
i.group gr=spotspear in=spot.ms.1,spot.ms.2,spot.ms.3

# create subgroup
i.group gr=spotspear subgr=spot.test in=spot.ms.1,spot.ms.2,spot.ms.3

# add another map for fun
i.group gr=spotspear in=spot.comp

# run it
i.class map=spot.comp group=spotspear1 subgroup=spot.test outsig=test.txt

it doesn't seem to mind that I was running it from the user1 mapset and
the images were stored in PERMANENT.

.... and then work your way though the menus. the result is a signature
file in $MAPSET/group/$GROUPNAME/subgroup/$SUBGRNAME/sig/sig.txt

I'm not sure what good results are supposed to look like.

> because I'm runnig this magic on Lenny ;-) (I actually
> got the 6.4 version from Sid repository).

nice, I hadn't realized it has been uploaded there yet.

> is there any way in GRASS to link different map displays

I am not sure what you mean by that.
zoom in one moves both?

> and have a "brushing" (update while dragging)

d.rast.edit?

> or even a static d.what.rast?

I am not sure what you mean by that.
maybe r.what does what you want?