[GRASS-user] Display thematic vector map - WinGRASS 6.3 (Vista)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Jan 3 01:43:17 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Ken Brookes <ken_brookes at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm a GRASS GIS novice and have recently downloaded and successfully
> installed GRASS 6.3.0 directly onto MS-Windows Vista. I have been playing
> with the GIS manager GUI and have run into a problem trying to create
> thematic Vector maps and display them in the map display. I am using the
> North Carolina data set (example data set provided) and a variety of vector
> maps to try and create graduated color, point and line maps to get a feel of
> how it works. I have been adding the thematic layer and specifying all the
> parameters correctly in the GUI. The actual binning of the numeric data is
> occurring properly because a new window will pop-up with the correct
> legend for the parameters specified, however nothing will display in the map
> display window. I do get a message in the command line shell saying "No such
> monitor exists 'PNG' ". I've tried to run d.vect.thematic through the
> command line shell and get an error saying "must open display monitor". I'm
> not sure what the problem is. Can anyone help?

The problem is that winGRASS does not support X or PNG monitors.
The solution is the new Python based user interface.
I am not sure if there is a d.vect.thematic equivalent already (we are
preparing 6.4.0 these days) which work on Windows since I am no
Windows user.
I hope you get the answer from another group member.

Markus