[GRASS-user] RE: NVIZ problem

Darrel Maddy darrel.maddy at newcastle.ac.uk
Sat Jan 3 08:37:49 EST 2009

Hi Markus,

> I eventually removed the HD4870 and exchanged it for my old nvidia 8800GTS. GRASS now works in intrepid64 (although it is 6.2!). I could not get 6.4 to compile but I probably gave up too easily (it was late last night) and I will try again shortly.

"Please let us know what failed. Maybe we can quickly help."

./configure cannot find the tcl/tk headers (although I have installed both). This is probably a simple thing to resolve but I was tired when I tried this.  I think it is probably just a location issue for the 64bit Intrepid.

> Why does working in 64bit seem to cause so many driver issues! Both of my machines have >4Gb ram and I simply want/need to use it. I always knew Vista was a pain but this has also shaken my trust in linux.

"Perhaps an Ubuntu issue here? I am using 64bit Linux without troubles
for years meanwhile."

Yes, I agree, although a quick search in google shows the myriad of problems with the ati drivers. I have had no problems with the 32bit Ubuntu (albeit without the ati card) but few scripts work out of the box with the 64bit version. I need Jachym to do the hard work for me in Intrepid! (I guess a 6 month release cycle asks a lot of everyone).

Best wishes

Darrel

Markus