[GRASS-user] v.clean process killed itselt!?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jan 9 16:07:21 EST 2009

Nikos Alexandris wrote:

> > > How should on go about and clean this map?
> >
> > On a 64-bit system with a lot of RAM. A 32-bit system limits each
> > process to a 4GiB address space, some of which is reserved.
>
> :-)
>
> My system is 64-bit, CoreDuo 2,53GHz, and I run Ubuntu Intrepid 64-bit.
> Unfortunately I can't install more RAM.
>
> Will more swap space help?

I doubt it.

If the process died because it tried to allocate more (virtual) memory
but failed, you would have gotten an error message from G_malloc().

The "Killed" message indicates that it was terminated (by SIGKILL) due
to either exceeding an explicit resource limit (you could try
increasing those limits, probably by editing /etc/security/limits.conf
then logging in again) or by consuming too much physical RAM (in this
case, you should see an "OOM" message from the kernel in the logs).

If it died because it exceeded the virtual memory limit (ulimit -v) or
the data segment limit (ulimit -d), then more swap would allow it to
run (but if the process' resident set exceeds physcial RAM and starts
using swap, it will run too slowly to be of any use).

So long as you already have some swap, adding more won't reduce
physical RAM usage. So if it died due to exceeding the RSS limit
(ulimit -m) or the kernel's OOM (out-of-memory) killer, more swap
won't help.