[GRASS-user] Landsat classification with CORINE CLC color codes?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jan 19 06:40:06 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 08:25 +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Dimos <dimos_anastasiou at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > My apologies if this question is already covered in this list...
> >
> > 44 CORINE CLC RGB  color codes are mentioned for each of the 44 land use
> > classes at:
> > http://dataservice.eea.europa.eu/download.asp?id=14234&filetype=.csv
> >
> > Can we classify a Landsat RGB image based on these rgb color codes in
> > GRASS GIS and how?
>
> In my opinion it doesn't make much sense to use the RGB colors here
> since they are arbitrary (well, ok, ideally "close" to natural colors).
>
> What you can do:
> - download the related CORINE shape file(s)
> - extract training areas
> - run i.gensigset to generate statistics
> - run i.smap to do the classification
> - validate
>
> Markus

Hi! Markus suggestion is one solution.

I just want to add that, if you take samples (=areas) from CORINE (as
they are), they can be a bit rough to classify a, let's say, 15m
pixel-resolution Landsat satellite image. In my humble opinion, there is
no way in this case to completely avoid some manual digitisation of
training samples, or edit the samples you will extract from CORINE.

Well, it depends also on what (e.g. which land cover classes) you want
to extract from Landsat.

There is, on the web, a nice step-by-step which uses COREIN + i.smap on
Landsat [1].

Dimo, if you could be a bit more precise... ?
Kind regards, Nikos

[1] http://www.custom-scenery.org/Building-Scener.331.0.html