[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 33, Issue 40

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jan 19 13:29:15 EST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 10:00 AM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org>
wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:37:07 +0100
> From: Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Original location: How to create from the
> 	command	line ?
> To: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Cc: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org, Peter L?we <peter.loewe at gmx.de>

>>> That's true. But is there also a way to provide the parameters
>>> _without_ interaction with the user (-> GRASS scripting &
>>> automation)
>>
>> You can create a new location and mapset with "g.proj -c ...", then
>> make it current with g.mapset. But those are GRASS commands, and only
>> work within GRASS.
>
> I imagine that you can create your own location by having a script
> create the location directory, the PERMANENT mapset directory and the
> PROJ_INFO, DEFAULT_WIND and PROJ_UNITS files, or ?
>
> Moritz

AFAICT, you'll need to script this, since you can't run GRASS commands
to create a location until you've started GRASS in a location.
We are switching GRASS to primarily use Python for scripting (though
it will always be possible to use other languages). Check out the new
Python location wizard for code to create locations before starting
GRASS. ../gui/wxpythyon/gui_modules/location_wizard.py

Michael