[GRASS-user] Aspect direction in r.slope.aspect

Patton, Eric Eric.Patton at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Jan 22 09:05:44 EST 2009

> Good topic for discussion. I think that GRASS7 should stick with the
> current conventions to retain backwards compatibility.
> Dylan

But I thought the whole idea of GRASS7 was to introduce new functionality
that is not necessarily intended to be backwards compatible with 6.x series?
The place to make the change, if anywhere, must certainly be in 7 as so much
else is changing in the codebase as well.

>For my 2 cents worth, it seems to make a lot more sense for a
>*geographic* information system for all output to follow the same
>spatial organizational standards.

I agree. Measuring counter-clockwise from east is completely counterintuitive
from my point of view. Why make it more complex than it needs to be?

~ Eric.