[GRASS-user] re: Mac OSX- How slow can you go?

Harald Hofmann Harald.Hofmann at sci.monash.edu.au
Tue Jan 27 16:56:32 EST 2009

Just a little command ...
I am using the binaries from William Kyngesburye on a MacBook Pro 2Ghz
Dual Core with 2G RAM (GRASS 6.3). Have used the ones from Lorenzo as
well. After installing the framework packages everything worked very
well so far ...

Cheers
Harald

Hamish wrote:
> Macsurfcat wrote:
>
>> I am running _OSX.5.6_ on an _intel_ _Mac_ using two (2)
>> duo-core processors and a bunch of memory. I have set up
>> GRASS 6.3 and it seems to be especially sluggish; i.e.,
>> literally all night to import a vector shapefile, albeit a
>> substantial one.
>>

> does the shapefile contain a rather long detailed polyline, like a
> coastline?  if so search the mailing list archives for the "florida
> coastline" problem.
>
> at which stage does it stall? building lines?
>

>> In addition, many modules (commands) will execute and then force an
>> exit from the application, requiring a re-launch. Curiously, the
>> tasks themselves are often completed.
>>

> that is not normal. are any error messages available?
> by "application" you mean all of GRASS quits? Does it give you a "someone
> is already using this mapset" error when you try to start GRASS again?
>

>> The "brand" is *OpenOX Grass*, an "it requires no additional
>> dependencies" package.
>>

> If there are build problems with that, we might be able help guess what
> the problem is, but it is likely you will have to report problems
> directly to OpenOSX as they do their building/packaging separately.
>

> Hamish

Harald Hofmann
PhD Candidate - Hydrogeology
School of Geosciences