[GRASS-user] starspan with grass support compilation failure

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 05:30:24 EST 2009

Speaking as a user...

I used starspan a couple of times and it's great. But what I most
liked about it is that _it works outside of GRASS_! It's independent
of GRASS, so an user with just a shapefile and some GeoTiffs can use
it happily.

At the same time that I believe it's a great tool and it should
receive more attention, the ability to work with other formats and
outside of grass is very important. Maybe have something like the gdal
tools, where the user can transform and query any image outside grass
but also, it works inside the GIS.

I say this because I had several grass rasters that I needed to do a
zonal stats with a very big shapefile. I was having a hard time
importing the shapefile into grass so, starspan to the rescue! Fast
and simple.

Just my 2c

Daniel