[GRASS-user] Re: link to datasets from other locations?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jul 1 19:05:56 EDT 2009

Tim Michelsen:
> >> So sharing data between locations is not really supported?

Hamish:
> > Not at all supported. (except for v.proj, r.proj, i.rectify)

Tim:
> What about a command that lets users safely move a vector from one
> locagion into the other?

Tim,

moving from one location to another location (which usually is/should be
of another projection) is "safely" done with v.proj. Why use another
command for that?

> >> Even if I just want to add the layer to the map view?

> > if you want to mix things you must use multiple mapsets from the
> > same location with @othermapset.

> But how to /display/ data from another location?

Just do like you do always:
d.vect YourVectorMap at othermapset

I haven't tried to draw something from @anothermapset at anotherlocation
(in case the location is of the same projection).

> Imagine a shared location with common data such as world borders or GSHHS.
> It would not be space efficient to import such large data into every new
> project. Rather sharing the common location when needed.

I find that your question/thought makes sense. I faced myself this in
the past. I decided to build a location called ellas (=greece) where I
put everything that covers/has to do with greece. From there I "pull" it
to wherever required, do what has to be done and erase if not required
anymore.

Maybe there are better (space/time efficient) tricks!?

> > perhaps you could sneak a way with r.external using the GRASS
> > GDAL driver plugin?
> I will try this.

Please let us know if something useful works-out :-)
Nikos