[GRASS-user] Re: link to datasets from other locations?

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Sat Jul 4 18:01:36 EDT 2009

> Maybe I am misunderstanding the concept of mapsets.
> And that the develpers meat mapsets to provide this kind of functionality.
I read the basic explanation at:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Gis_Concepts#How_a_GRASS_project_is_organized

So for testing new data or methods, I definately should use a new
/mapset/ and not a new /location/ if I intent to use the result later in
the main project (with the same projection).

So what remains as open question:
How do I get my data from the testing location into the location my main
project location?
By file system based copying?

Then, I hope that the GRASS 7 vector format will not store the attribute
table in a direcory separate from the geographica information.

> So will removing a mapset also automatically remove all datasets that
> belong to it?
Why does the g.mapset command
(http://grass.itc.it/gdp/html_grass64/g.mapset.html) not contain a
remove option?

>>> Imagine a shared location with common data such as world borders or
>>> GSHHS.
>>> It would not be space efficient to import such large data into every
>>> new project. Rather sharing the common location when needed.
>> I find that your question/thought makes sense. I faced myself this in
>> the past.
My scenario doesn't really be that unusual:
see:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.user/30422