[GRASS-user] Re: link to datasets from other locations?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jul 5 07:47:29 EDT 2009

Tim Michelsen wrote:
> So what remains as open question:
> How do I get my data from the testing location into the location my main
> project location? By file system based copying?

I think better by using v.proj/r.proj.

> Then, I hope that the GRASS 7 vector format will not store the attribute
> table in a direcory separate from the geographica information.
>
> > So will removing a mapset also automatically remove all datasets that
> > belong to it? Why does the g.mapset command
> (http://grass.itc.it/gdp/html_grass64/g.mapset.html) not contain a
> remove option?

Just erase the whole directory as you do with any other directory in
your filesystem.

> >> I find that your question/thought makes sense. I faced myself this in
> >> the past.
> My scenario doesn't really be that unusual:
> see: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.user/30422

I just want to repeat something you probably know: remember that you
always need an "untouched / original" dataset somewhere (that's why
there is a PERMANENT mapset in each location). Most likely it is that
processing tasks will change the dataset in some way.