Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994, was - Re: [GRASS-user] Convert OGR vector layer to GRASS vector map

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 11:13:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, S M wrote:

> I recently installed winGRASS 6.4.0RC5 (1st time user) and on first start up
> of winGRASS to explore an Australian MID/MIF data set, I also could not use
> GDA 1994.
>
> I was reviewing the lists to subscribe to when I found the GDA 1994 message
> on the grass-user list.
>
> Here's the link to the Australian website defining GDA 1994. In addition,
> the menus to the left shows history of the Australian datum.
>
> <http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/datums/gda.jsp>
> http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/datums/gda.jsp
>
> Is there any schedule for when winGRASS will support GDA 1994?

For only exploring a dataset, it does not matter if the datum settings are
correct or not. If you need to reproject the data, you can use WGS84 for
the datum as it is equivalent. The recent discussion was only about having
GRASS automatically recognise GDA94 when importing projection information
from other formats. Just a convenience really; doesn't affect practical
usage of anything.

Paul