[GRASS-user] Building topologically correct stream network

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sun Jul 26 09:43:12 EDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:15:41 +0200
Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hamish wrote:
> > MMetz:

> > note the v.strahler help page makes special mention that if you used
> > r.watershed you should check the topology. Maybe it makes a bitter
> > deal out of that than is really the case?
> >
> > S:
> >
> >> Maybe there is nothing wrong.  On further reflection the area that
> >> I am trying to use this procedure on is very flat and there are
> >> intermittent streams and wetlands (site visit) all over the
> >> study area.  These non-connected lines maybe showing
> >> intermittentancy?
> >>

> > do you see a "ladder effect" in the r.to.vect river network?
> > (like a braided river with all joins at right angles)
> > maybe that is the problematic topology the module is concerned
> > about?
> I can only think of these two possible problems - dangles and
> ladders. Dangles are caused by the method used to extract streams
> from a flow accumulation map whereas these ladders are an artefact of
> r.to.vect.

I'm also struggling with these "ladder" artifacts. They seem to
appear, of course, in flat areas. Attached is a sample with the
catchments raster (colored) in the background and the catchments vector
map (black lines) overlayed. (I used the '-s' option with r.to.vect to
smooth corners) and streams in blue.

There's no problem running v.clean tool=rmarea to get rid of the small
areas, but then what you get is streams running right along the line
dividing two basins, which looks incorrect. Sometimes the clean
operation will leave a "zigzag" boundary and the stream then "crosses"
back and forth between two basins, which is certainly not desirable.

I've tried this at a few different resolutions (both larger and
smaller than the original dem) and the problem appears consistently.

If anyone has suggestions to overcome this problem, I'll be in line
for testing.

Thanks,
Micha