[GRASS-user] g.manual tries to run C:\Program Files\Internet Exporer\iexplore (the 'L' is missing from 'Explorer')

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 26 18:03:47 EDT 2009

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Could anyone clarify which of the following are valid
> arguments to GRASS_HTML_BROWSER?
>
> 1. A native filename, e.g.:
>
>     C:\GRASS\docs\html\index.html
>
> 2. A Unix-ish filename, e.g.:
>
>     C:/GRASS/docs/html/index.html

the above failed on ms windows, which split it into C :/ GRASS..
and didn't know the "C" rfc protocol, and then :/ as the first
part of :// etc.

changed to be:

> 3. A file: URL, e.g.:
>
>     file:///C:/GRASS/docs/html/index.html

from gis.m AFAIR.

> 4. A HTTP URL, e.g.:
>
>     http://grass.osgeo.org/

I assume that would work, but I believe the goal is to have help
available on the local computer as the software could often
be used on a laptop for field work where no internet access is
available.

> It would be much easier to set GRASS_HTML_BROWSER correctly
> if I knew how it's actually meant to be used.

I expect exact argument usage is dependent on the browser you
give for GRASS_HTML_BROWSER.

AFAIK g.manual is now fixed on WinGrass, we just wait for new
builds to confirm.

Hamish