[GRASS-user] r.watershed crashing grass.

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 26 18:11:39 EDT 2009

> >> Hamish said this is a generic memory problem on MS windows
> >> (vista).
> Hamish wrote:
> > eh? my point was mearly that there are some existing
> > memory bugs which haven't been fixed yet as they only
> > present themselves when run under MS Windows, and we are
> > just starting to discover those as more people try native
> > WinGrass.
> >
> > I've got no idea if this problem belongs to that class
> > or not, nor if XP vs. Vista makes any difference to GRASS.
> > Just that Valgrind is a nice tool for helping to deal to
> > bugs stemming from memory code mistakes, or clearing that
> > as a suspected cause.
MM:
> "Hamish suggested that this may be a generic problem on MS
> windows (vista)" might have been better phrasing. Sorry for
> misinterpreting your words!

sorry to harp on about semantics, but "generic" may imply a
systemic or underlying fundamental flaw. AFAIK there is no
problem like that. in this case it is just a "common" small
coding bug which a few random modules have & await fixes for.
e.g. r.los was already fixed AFAIK. and it has nothing to do
with the version of ms windows used.

Hamish