[GRASS-user] [Fwd: grass-user Digest, Vol 39, Issue 93]

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jul 30 17:29:19 EDT 2009

> ------------------------------
>
> Message:
> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:22:04 +0100
> From: Corrado Topi <ct529 at york.ac.uk>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] which points in vector A fall in areas of vector
> 	B?
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Dear friends,
>
> I need to discover which points out of vector A fall within the area covered
> by vector B (areas). How do I do that? I tried v.select and v.overlay, but
> without success.
>
> Best Regards
> --
> Corrado Topi
>
> Global Climate Change and Biodiversity
> Area 18,Department of Biology
> University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
> Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: ct529 at york.ac.uk

Corrado,

v.distance from=<from_map> from_type=point to=<to_map> to_type=area
dmax=0 upload=dist column=<column_name>

Points falling within the areas will have a zero placed in the target
column. You can then query the attribute table to choose points falling
within the area, and use v.extract to create a new map of points within
the areas.

Richard