[GRASS-user] Can I just get rid of Wish?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jun 9 15:14:22 EDT 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Michael Margolis wrote:

> Progress!
>
> For any other novices lurking, that /.grassrc6 was in my root (i.e.,
> Users/MyName).

That's what the tilde '~' refers to, your home folder.

> I had been misled by a /.grassrc64 in a directory called
> "demolocation" a few layers inside my system Library.

That's probably in the modbuild folder.  Yes, you can ignore this one.

> Unfortunately, it still can't handle window resizing, even as the
> first
> thing done after opening the GUI. The program stops recognizing
> input and
> must be Force Quit.
>
> Also, the GUI won't launch at startup. I get:
>
> [START SCREEN QUOTE]
>
> Starting GRASS ...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/wxpython/
> gis_set.py",
> line 33, in <module>
>    from gui_modules import globalvar
>  File
> "/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/
> globalv
> ar.py", line 54, in <module>
>    CheckForWx()
>  File
> "/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/
> globalv
> ar.py", line 44, in CheckForWx
>    except (ImportError, ValueError, wxversion.VersionError), e:
> UnboundLocalError: local variable 'wxversion' referenced before
> assignment
> Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please
> Switching to text mode now.
> Hit RETURN to continue...
>
> [END SCREEN QUOTE]

Hmmm, what OSX version?  Did you install the GRASS build matching your
system version? Which GRASS installer version (ie: is it the latest
rc4-1)?  If OSX Leopard (10.5), did you install Python (it's OK not
to, since the system Python is reasonably recent).

I have seen problems getting the GUI to start automatically vs
starting it manually with g.gui, though the wxpython GUI seems to work
now on startup.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

The equator is so long, it could encircle the earth completely once.