[GRASS-user] Can I just get rid of Wish?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Jun 12 14:50:03 EDT 2009

welcome back...

On Jun 12, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been out of the country and had a problem with my laptop. So I
> haven't been able to answer sooner.
>
> I want to add to William's information a bit of my own experience
> with this.
>
> If you are running Leopard AKA as OS X 10.5.x (and it seems like you
> are), I strongly recommend that you uninstall any other Python
> except the one that comes with Leopard. This also means looking at
> your .profile and .bashrc files to get rid of any lines about
> PYTHONPATH. Then deinstall and reinstall wxPython so that it links
> to the native Mac Python installation.

I now bundle wxPython in my binary distribution, to avoid confusion if
a user has installed another version.  Also Apple's version is a bit
old now, though it satisfies the minimum version GRASS needs.  For
those building GRASS from source, an up-to-date version of wxPython
can be installed and used with the system Python.

Another thing I just added in RC5 and SVN (for the OSX app build) is
the ability to attempt to use a version of Python that wxPython is
built for.  This only works for when wxPython in bundled in the app,
and is hardwired (requires editing grass.sh.in in the macosx app
source).  This helps for GRASS distributions (like mine) where a user
might have other Python versions installed that may cause trouble.

> We have built the GUI in Python 2.5. I can't vouch for Python 2.6
> working with everything.
>
> This OUGHT to solve a lot of your Python and wxPython issues.
>
> Also, you cannot get rid of wish, at least not if you want to run
> NVIZ. It still requires TclTk. It is now built with the aqua
> version, however. So you need TclTk aqua. You can download and
> install binaries from ActiveStates.
>
> I'm pretty sure that native Python comes with numpy. This is needed
> for profiling and some other graphing. If you don't have numpy,
> you'll need to install it. You can do so by first installing
> "setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg" from the Python packages page (http://pypi.python.org/pypi
> ). Follow the instructions to install it (you run the downloaded
> package as a script). Then all you have to do is type from the
> command line:
>
> install numpy
>
> OR
>
> sudo install numpy

I also now include an up-to-date version of numpy in my GDAL framework
(it's used there also).  The system version is a very old 1.0.1, and
GRASS requirements say at least 1.0.4.

>>> http://grass.itc.it/download/index.php, and after installing some