[GRASS-user] Native WinGRASS 6.4 RC5 g.proj failure

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue Jun 16 10:46:28 EDT 2009

I installed GRASS on WinXP using the setup file of the new version of
WinGRASS from:

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/binary/mswindows/native/

When starting GRASS, as long as I point to an existing GRASS GISDBASE it
works fine. But if I try to set up a new GISDBASE, new location and
mapset (based on epsg codes) the "location wizard" fails, popping up an
error window (as in the attached image).

This bug is something of a show-stopper since without a properly defined
location GRASS will not start. Even if I start GRASS with the command
line and try to run g.proj -c or g.setproj they also fail. So without
jumping thru some tricky hoops, editting PROJ_INFO, etc. , GRASS is
unusable.

Now, if I run the OSGeo4W installer and get 6.4.0svn, these problems do
not appear. I can create a new GISDBASE and location, then I can
successfully use that location to start either the OSGeo4W version or
the WinGRASS 6.4 RC5 version.

Regards,

Micha