[GRASS-user] v.lidar.edgedetection very slow

Michael Perdue michael_perdue at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 22 02:12:51 EDT 2009

I read through the one of the papers today (M. A. Brovelli , M.
Cannata and U. M. Longoni, 2002. Managing and processing LIDAR data
within GRASS, Proceedings of the Open source GIS - GRASS users
conference 2002) and the authors recommended a step value or 3 to 4
time the average point spacing of the data set. So 4m sen & see values
seems appropriate for a data set that has an average coverage of 1
return/m^2. Unfortunately, the authors didn't really explain why it
should be 3-4 times and not say 10. I can only guess that a smaller
step size would produce finer details in the interpolation and better
feature isolation for the classification.

There definitely seems to be something funky going on between the
spline step size and the division of the region into subregion. I ran
tests using v.lidar.edgedetection on tiles of 500x500m, 800x800m ,
801x801m and 1000x1000m. Times for each run were 1m54.065s, 6m35.420s,
22m16.708s & 68m25.265s respectively. There was a ~3 fold increase in
processing time when I grew the data set by 1m from  (800m)^2 (what I
understand to be the maximum size of the region before it is broken up
into subregions) to (801m)^2 and it tripled again when I jumped to
(1000m)^2. I also recompiled grass with NSPLX_MAX and NSPLY_MAX set to
1500 instead of the current 200 and the time to process a (1000m)^2
tile dropped from 68 minutes to 12 minutes.

My understanding is that a region is broken up into smaller subregions
to avoid memory limitations while processing. I can't see any reason
why the division of the region into more smaller subregions should
increase the resolution of those subregions. I'm far from an expert on
these programs, and I'm not skilled enough to read through the code
and know what it is doing, but if I understand you correctly, your
arguments make sense to me. If you're kind enough to share your
changes I'll apply them and do some more testing.

Cheers,

Mike