[GRASS-user] "g.region -cd" creates an unusable WIND file instead of printing error messages

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jun 22 14:40:06 EDT 2009

Can anybody confirm that running the (irrational to me) command
"g.region -cd" creates an (almost empty) unusable WIND file? Is this a
bug that should be reported?

# issue irrational command
g.region -cd

# verify broken WIND file
g.region -p

ERROR: region for current mapset is invalid
       <north field missing>
       run "g.region"

# attempt to restore region fails, e.g.
g.region rast=StudyArea -pa

ERROR: region for current mapset is invalid
       <north field missing>
       run "g.region"

Kind regards, Nikos

Details

While testing *.region.* qgis-grass tools I saw that in r.region.region
one can select both "Set from current region" and "Set from default
region". Before writing down my comments about this I wanted to ensure
that this is also NOT possible (or rational) to use in grass itself. A
report with respect *.region.* qgis-grass tools will follow in a few
days.