[GRASS-user] How to make a conversion of ERSI Grid ASCII==>USGS DEM?

Illidan illidan.modeler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 04:12:34 EST 2009

Hamish,

Thank you so much for your great patience and valuable information.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Illidan wrote:
>> I wonder if my data is not valid,
>
> does it look ok in grass after import with r.in.arc?
After an r.in.arc, I'm able to open it in GRASS.

However, when I add a raster layer for it and perform "Display active
layers" in Map Display 1, Map Display 1 is just blank. When I place
the mouse over Map Display 1, it displays a kind of (X, Y) on  mini
status bar on the the left bottom of the window.

When I try to view its profile by "create profile of raster map", it
returns 0 after I draw a transect.If I "query" a point, it replies
with sth. like "638510.228216|220781.556017||*".

I'm only successful with a "measure" that returns a valid distance.

So I guess it's just invalid.

>> The source of my data is (which covers a large portion of
>> the world and supports ESRI ASCII output):
>>
>> http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp
>
> Oh, it's SRTM data.
>
> I suggest you use the r.in.srtm module to import .hgt files directly
> instead of messing with old ArcInfo formats from 20 years ago.
> see the help page.
>

>> My gdal_translate is a 1.5.2 on ubuntu 8.10.
>>
>> $ gdal_translate --version
>> GDAL 1.5.2, released 2008/05/29
>

> $ gdal_translate -of USGSDEM S46E166.hgt S46E166.dem
>
> works fine for me. the geotiff download option from the URL you gave
> probably works fine too as input for gdal_translate. gdal loves geotiffs.

It'll be very great if my gdal_translate works fine with Geotiff. My
final destination is just USGSDEM, so it doesn't matter in which
format the data source generates.I used ESRI ASCII instead just
because I didn't know anything about Geotiff.  I'll try Geotiff
shortly.

--
Illidan
Networking System Modeler