[GRASS-user] v.net.iso Performance

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 12 09:34:34 EDT 2009

Darren Cope wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using v.net.iso on a very large dataset (National Road Network for
> Ontario, Canada - 497879 lines) to determine drive-time 'rings.'  I'm
> experiencing extremely long calculation times.  Since it's a very
> large dataset, I'm not entirely surprised.  However, my initial tests
> were done using GRASS 6.3.0 under QGIS 0.11.0 and I stopped the
> process after 5 full days of running.  After these 5 days, it was
> still at the "Building Graph" stage.  I did a search, and found a
> thread here: http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/224 which seemed like
> a good fit.
>
> My question--is the fix outlined in the thread above implemented in
> GRASS 6.4.0RC3-2 via OSGeo4W?
Not yet, waiting for more testing. Currently it is only fixed in grass65
and grass7.
> If so, how long should such a process expect to take?
Rather minutes than hours:-)
> If not, what is the easiest way to get the code with this fix?  I'm
> not very experienced with building from source, versioning, etc. but
> willing to learn if necessary.
Obtaining source for grass65 (and other versions) is described in
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/DownloadSource#GRASS6.5

grass65 is very similar to grass64

A good start is the wiki page on how to compile and install
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#MS-Windows.2Fnative
see there also the links under MS-Windows/native -> Compile

I'm not using GRASS under Windows myself, so I can only point to some
relevant documentation.

Good luck, and it would be great if you could report back if the results
of v.net.iso are ok. One step closer to get the fix into grass64.

Markus M