[GRASS-user] v.net.iso Performance

Darren Cope darrencope at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 19:56:19 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm using v.net.iso on a very large dataset (National Road Network for
Ontario, Canada - 497879 lines) to determine drive-time 'rings.'  I'm
experiencing extremely long calculation times.  Since it's a very large
dataset, I'm not entirely surprised.  However, my initial tests were done
using GRASS 6.3.0 under QGIS 0.11.0 and I stopped the process after 5 full
days of running.  After these 5 days, it was still at the "Building Graph"
stage.  I did a search, and found a thread here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/224 which seemed like a good fit.

Hoping that this was the solution, I downloaded GRASS 6.4.0RC3-2 via
OSGeo4W, and ran the same command on the same dataset--this time it quickly
proceeded to "Build Graphs" but got hung up on "Registering Arcs" where it
sat for for 24 hours with no progress.  Instead of waiting endlessly, I
stopped the process, and am writing this in hopes of another solution.

My question--is the fix outlined in the thread above implemented in GRASS
6.4.0RC3-2 via OSGeo4W?  If so, how long should such a process expect to
take?  If not, what is the easiest way to get the code with this fix?  I'm
not very experienced with building from source, versioning, etc. but willing
to learn if necessary.

Current system:
Windowx XP Pro
Pentium 4 3.00GHz