[GRASS-user] g.region causing GUI crash...

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 24 23:42:59 EDT 2009

GRASS was working fine and dandy, and after some weird crash with a
display window (I forgot to jot down the error), I can no longer launch
the GUI for a certain mapset under GRASS 6.4.svn on Debian.  Here's the
error I get:

After choosing the mapset, the splash comes up, then the Output window,
then an error window stating:
"Error setting region (Problem with g.region?): child process exited
abnormally" with an OK button.  Clicking OK kills the Output window, and
I get these errors in my terminal window:

GRASS 6.4.svn (pod_sav):/pathto/bioclimate > Error in startup script:
can't read "parts(w)": no such variable
    while executing
"set $parts(w) [expr round($parts(w)/$parts(ewres))*$parts(ewres)]"
    (procedure "MapCanvas::zoom_gregion" line 16)
    invoked from within
"MapCanvas::zoom_gregion $mon"
    (procedure "MapCanvas::create" line 40)
    invoked from within
"MapCanvas::create"
    (procedure "Gm::startmon" line 11)
    invoked from within
"Gm::startmon"
    (procedure "Gm::create" line 79)
    invoked from within
"Gm::create"
    (procedure "main" line 30)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv"
    (file "/usr/local/grass-6.4.svn/etc/gm/gm.tcl" line 557)

When I tried to manually set the region:

GRASS 6.4.svn (pod_sav):/pathto/bioclimate > g.region
rast=all_cdec_costd_mincost_1
ERROR: region for current mapset is invalid
       <projection field missing>
       run "g.region"

Thoughts?
--j