[GRASS-user] g.region causing GUI crash...

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 25 01:51:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Jonathan Greenberg
<greenberg at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> GRASS was working fine and dandy, and after some weird crash with a display
> window (I forgot to jot down the error), I can no longer launch the GUI for
> a certain mapset under GRASS 6.4.svn on Debian.  Here's the error I get:
>
> After choosing the mapset, the splash comes up, then the Output window, then
> an error window stating:
> "Error setting region (Problem with g.region?): child process exited
> abnormally" with an OK button.  Clicking OK kills the Output window, and I
> get these errors in my terminal window:
>
> GRASS 6.4.svn (pod_sav):/pathto/bioclimate > Error in startup script: can't
> read "parts(w)": no such variable
This indicates that g.region fails (as you have seen below).

> When I tried to manually set the region:
>
> GRASS 6.4.svn (pod_sav):/pathto/bioclimate > g.region
> rast=all_cdec_costd_mincost_1
> ERROR: region for current mapset is invalid
>      <projection field missing>
>      run "g.region"

It comes from G__read_Cell_head_array() which is a function
to read the raster map header.

I suspect that the "all_cdec_costd_mincost_1" raster map [header]
is corrupted. It is an ASCII file in the mapset's cellhd/ directory, maybe
you can fix it. Reason for corruption might be
- disk temporarily full
- GRASS database on NFS/other shared directory disappeared due to
  network problems.

Best will be to recreate the corrupted map.

Markus