[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] call for volunteers - urgent need for Windows Vista binaries

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Fri Mar 27 02:18:54 EDT 2009

On Mar 26, 2009, at 10:21 PM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> hi, just small note:
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:21:55PM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
>> Marco Pasetti made a very nice Windows installer for 6.3 last year,
>> but
>> is unable to continue this work.
>>
>> Other folks in OSGEO have created OSGEO4W with a number of packages.
>> However, GRASS is in the 'advanced' section--and it is not clear what
>> libraries need to be downloaded with it--and it cannot be installed
>> stand-alone.
>>

> the osgeo4w installer is just fine, only thing is missing is, that
> GRASS
> should appear in the 'basic' section as well (should not be that
> complicated) and all depandances are fixed. than the installation is
> IMHO enough straight forward and easy.
>
> jachym

Jachym,

The osgeo4w installer does not work well with Vista. The binary seems
to have been compiled for XP and so various modules fail when GRASS
installed is installed in this way on Vista. There needs to be a Vista
version of the installer

Also, while the osteo4w installer is nice for individual installs, it
is problematic for institutional lab installs, where IT managers want
to have stand alone apps that they can test, install, and remove
rather than a suite of apps in a package installer format. It's the
same problem I've face with the Cygwin version when trying to use
GRASS in university classroom labs. It would help to have the option
to install a package as stand alone.

Michael