[GRASS-user] v.whar.vect does not respond

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon May 4 19:13:28 EDT 2009

Nikos:
> > Since last update of grass6_devel (a few days back) v.what.vect does not
> > "work" anymore!?
> > It starts counting some percentages and then... that was it. It just
> > stays there...

Markus N:
> I tried in Spearfish:
>
> g.copy vect=archsites,myarchsites
> v.db.addcol myarchsites col="owner varchar(25)"
> v.what.vect myarchsites qvect=fields column=owner qcolumn=label
> # verification:
> v.db.select myarchsites

> No problem...

Yep, no problem at all with Spearfish.

> Add -x to the first line in the v.what.vect script to
> see the script execution stepwise. Then you'll see where is
> stops:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Debugging#Shell_script_debugging

I added "-x" but doesn't look very helpful as it get's (if it really
stucks) after counting the progress-percentages of whatever process they
refer to.

(
For some modules I think it would be nice, if it is possible, to have
sort of a progress indicator... just to know it's running and have a
rough estimation of how long it will take to complete.
)

The problem appears in a (at least one) map which I recreated today
since it was not working at all (due to "database locked" message). The
steps were:

# rasterise some map
r.to.vect input="burned_area_landsat_sample_1.rgb"
output="burned_area_sample_1_points" feature="point"

# some info
v.info burned_area_sample_1_points

---%<---
Number of points:       99449
---%<---

# drop/add some column(s)
v.db.dropcol "map=burned_area_sample_1_points" "column=value"
v.db.dropcol "map=burned_area_sample_1_points" "column=label"
v.db.addcol "burned_area_sample_1_points" "column=gridcell integer"

# carry over from an area-vector to the point-vector the _cat_ numbers
v.what.vect burned_area_sample_1_points col=gridcell qvect=sample_1_grid
qcol=cat

+ [ -z /usr/local/grass-6.5.svn ]
+ [ burned_area_sample_1_points != @ARGS_PARSED@ ]
+ exec g.parser /usr/local/grass-6.5.svn/scripts/v.what.vect
burned_area_sample_1_points col=gridcell qvect=sample_1_grid qcol=cat
+ [ -z /usr/local/grass-6.5.svn ]
+ [ @ARGS_PARSED@ != @ARGS_PARSED@ ]
+ exec v.distance from=burned_area_sample_1_points to=sample_1_grid
column=gridcell to_column=cat upload=to_attr dmax=0.0 from_layer=1
to_layer=1
100%
100%
100%

## Here it waits... waits... maybe just wait? I am _sure_ it did not
take too long some last time when I tried this with the same map(s) ##

Currently I am watching the same process ran via strace! It throws out
numerous lseek/lread messages. I'll give it some time but something is
wrong because it takes too much time.

Was there change recently in v.db.addcol or something related to
v.db.dropcol?

Nikos

Regards, Nikos