[GRASS-user] Re: [Qgis-user] QGIS & GRASS

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu May 7 01:48:44 EDT 2009

Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> like to see a situation one day where I can just package e.g. libgrass
> and toolxyz into my QGIS based application and make use of the GRASS
> tool - on 'external' non GRASS datasets.

I agree - this is a very promising approach. Please note that r.external
goes in this direction, and its addition would be a great advantage for
QGIS, especially when coupled with SpatiaLite.
I would like, however, to see a minimization of duplications, as our
(QGIS and GRASS) developers base is small, and there are still a lot of
basic issues to be solved. It is quite unlikely that in the near future
either QGIS will gain significant raster power, or GRASS real ease of
use, compared to each other.
All the best.