[GRASS-user] Re: [Qgis-user] QGIS & GRASS

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:38:39 EDT 2009

As a user (and partly as developer) I consider Qgis and Grass
dedicated to different parts of my work. At now Qgis is for me a rapid
viewer, a good toolbox for vector analysis (thanks to ftool and, in a
while, to the Qgis Analysis module), and a framework for GUI-gis dev
(through the great python plugin system). Grass is for rest of the
world (raster analysis, complex geoprocessing workflows).
I understand that the respective dev teams give the best indipendently
from each other, but I think that a complete overlap will take time to
happen... In the meanwhile we need to mix the systems. Qgis has to
deeply redesign the raster core code (and I'm longing for this), and
then will have a lot of work to do to reproduce the analysis
algorithms we can find in Grass. On the other side, I hope that the
Grass toolboxes will acquire a driver-based approach to datas, to
decouple from it's native model...
Waiting for the future, I think that the grass7 python support will
help a lot in qgis-grass interfacing. For the happiness of all the
pythonist (me too)!

giovanni