[GRASS-user] Point count with large vectors

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue May 12 04:30:11 EDT 2009

Don't know if that will speed things up, but you could try
buffering all points in B by a given distance, then use
this to count the points in A that are inside the buffer polygons:

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#v.count.points.sh

You could still do as Hamish suggested to reduce the set of
points to test a priori.

Ben

Hamish wrote:
>> As to "a long time", I left one loop running for several
>> days and only completed
>> one state of Australia!
>

> to speed it up perhaps v.buffer + v.select could be used as a
> pre-processing step to remove any points which are too far from both
> A and B? maybe v.buffer for both A and B, v.overlay those two together,
> then v.select only A and B points in that area, and finally run
> v.distance for only the reduced list of points?
>

> Hamish

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Geospatial Consultant

Oxford Archaeology