[GRASS-user] rotating symbols in d.vect?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 04:45:05 EDT 2009

Davids Corine wrote:
> I know that it is possible to rotate symbols based on data in a column
> in the attribute table in ps.map, but is this also possible in d.vect?
> On the Wiki page for IconSymbols it implies that rotation of symbols
> should be possible in the d.vect module from v.6.3, but I cannot
> figure out how and there is nothing in the manual pages for d.vect.

hmph, the wiki page was wrong. I've just fixed that and added this as a
new wish in the trac system:  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/600
I think it would be a moderately simple feature to add.

Using the GRASS 6.4.0RC version you might try the v.out.ascii+d.graph
work-around I added to that wish-report:

#spearfish dataset
#create example values using the cat number for angle
# rotation is measured in degrees CCW from East

g.copy vect=archsites,test_rotate
v.db.addcol test_rotate column='rotation double precision'
v.db.update test_rotate column=rotation value='CAT'

v.out.ascii test_rotate column=rotation | \
   awk -F'|' '{printf("rotation %s\nsymbol geology/strike_triangle 12 %s %s black black\n", $4, $1, $2)}' \
   > test_rotate_graph.rules

d.graph -m test_rotate_graph.rules
d.vect test_rotate disp=cat yref=top

for GRASS 6.3 I think you have to get the v.out.ascii.db script from
wiki addons. (the 'v.out.ascii column=' option is new)
but William has 6.4.0RC Mac packages available on his website, which
is perhaps an easier/better solution to that.

> (apologies if this post appears twice, I tried to post this
> a few days ago already)

first copy I've seen.

good luck,
Hamish