[GRASS-user] RE:How to find shortest distances from the investigation point to the shoreline

sgw00412 at nifty.com sgw00412 at nifty.com
Wed May 13 01:00:26 EDT 2009

Hi all

I'm sorry for repeating the same question.

I tested by two kinds of geographical coordinate systems by using the same dat
a.

One of the geographical coordinate systems is UTM54, and the remainder is wgs8
4.

data :point vector data (10 points) and a line vector data
OS: grass 6.2.3 on Cygwin.

As a result, the case of UTM54 obtained the distance of meter. On the other ha
nd, wgs84 obtained the distance of decimal value.

So, I guess that the decimal value of wgs84 is a degree of latitude longitude.

Grass manual wrote that "...In lat-long locations v.distance gives distances (
dist and to_along) in meters not in degrees calculated as geodesic distances o
n a sphere.."
http://www.ces.iisc.ernet.in/grass/grass64/manuals/html64_user/v.distance.html

Though this manual is version 6.4, the manual of version 6.2 is not written it
.

Is this interpretation correct?

If it is so, please teach me the method of converting the decimal value into t
he meter.

-------------------
PROJCS["Transverse Mercator",
    GEOGCS["unnamed",
        DATUM["unknown",
            SPHEROID["unnamed",6378137,298.257222101],
            TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
        UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]],
    PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
    PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
    PARAMETER["central_meridian",141],
    PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
    PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],
    PARAMETER["false_northing",0],
    UNIT["metre",1]]

cat,UserID,distance
1,0,324.231475
2,0,170.339585
3,0,338.095708
4,0,347.756189
5,0,143.91159
6,0,156.702461
7,0,336.369666
8,0,178.761379
9,0,163.440513
10,0,122.997484
-------------------
GEOGCS["wgs84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["wgs84",6378137,298.257223563]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
    UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]]

cat,UserID,distance
1,0,0.003779