[GRASS-user] Re: gis.m error

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 07:24:49 EDT 2009

congrats, you found a bug.

gis.m fails with the error you posted if you start it from an XY location.

Error in startup script: can't read "prj(name)": no such variable
    while executing
"string eq "Lat/Lon" "$prj(name)""
    (procedure "MapCanvas::get_mapunits" line 30)
    invoked from within
"MapCanvas::get_mapunits"

that error now fixed in SVN r37257. (it was only in 6.5svn)

but r36386 doesn't solve all problems for Lat/Lon locations, so still
highly broken for them in gis.m :(  (both constrained and unconstrained
modes)

Seb wrote:
> I was actually using this simple XY location for some intermediate
> operations while processing ocean color level 3 binned data.  I used
> to do a lot of these things using GMT tools, but now the project has
> become too large to handle outside a GIS, so am exploring workflows.

see also instructions at
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_datasets#MODIS
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_datasets#SeaWiFS

Hamish