[GRASS-user] v.to.raster attribute table lost in coversion

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon May 25 18:55:27 EDT 2009

Alyre wrote:
> I am trying to covert a grass vector layer into a raster
> layer. The vector layer has an attribute table with the
> following: (- = there are real values in the table). Values
> are negative (below the surface)
>
> id  cat x  y depth
> 1    1  -   -  -0.3
> 2    2  -   -  -0.5
>
> I do get a resulting raster file after the transformation,
> the points are there but no attribute table with the depth
> assigned to what I assume are now grid points.

what does 'r.info' and 'r.univar' say about the output map?

> Here is the GRASS command that I used:
>
> v.to.rast in=points_grass out=grass_point_rast3 use=attr
> col=depth

looks ok

> Why is there no attribute table created (Checked by
> importing the grass raster into QGIS)?

GRASS raster maps don't really have attribute tables as such.
they do have things like them (category labels files, reclass
rules, color rules) but no DB.

see also this bug, but I don't think it applies here
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/175

Hamish