[GRASS-user] Stranges things after importing a shapefile

Felix Schalck felix.schalck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 11:50:42 EST 2009

Ok: you are right, the pictures I uploaded are not very useful; so I
made another 4 screenshots, to show my problem:

First Image: Rhine river, and swiss lakes in qgis (displaying the raw
shapefile): http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1144/swbdrhineqgis.png

Second Image: (Approximately) Same region, after importation as GRASS
vector, using v.in.ogr:
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3850/swbdrhinegrass.png
The middle-rhine just vanished over the process ! Also, notice that no
lake is recognized as closed area (although zooming in shows no
apparent dangles), and doesn't color. This is annoying, since I would
mean a manual rework all lakes to show them properly in the final map.

Third image: Zoom at the middl-Rhine, with Qgis:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1650/swbdrhineqgis2.png

Forth image: (Approximately) Same region, after importation as GRASS
vector: http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6029/swbdrhinegrass2.png
Obvious question: what happened to the river ?

As explined, the shapefile are meant to serve as vector layer on my
final topographic map; thus I'm using grass as middle-step, between
qgis shapefile and inkscape. Im very interested in nikos'
import-without-clean option: would this work out for me (eg: would it
be possible to export the non-cleaned grass vector layer to svg) ?

Thanks for your help,

Felix