[GRASS-user] Stranges things after importing a shapefile

Νίκος Νίκος
Tue Nov 10 12:02:52 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 17:50 +0100, Felix Schalck wrote:
> Ok: you are right, the pictures I uploaded are not very useful; so I
> made another 4 screenshots, to show my problem:

> First Image: Rhine river, and swiss lakes in qgis (displaying the raw
> shapefile): http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1144/swbdrhineqgis.png

> Second Image: (Approximately) Same region, after importation as GRASS
> vector, using v.in.ogr:
> http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3850/swbdrhinegrass.png
> The middle-rhine just vanished over the process ! Also, notice that no
> lake is recognized as closed area (although zooming in shows no
> apparent dangles), and doesn't color. This is annoying, since I would
> mean a manual rework all lakes to show them properly in the final map.

> Third image: Zoom at the middl-Rhine, with Qgis:
> http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1650/swbdrhineqgis2.png

> Forth image: (Approximately) Same region, after importation as GRASS
> vector: http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6029/swbdrhinegrass2.png
> Obvious question: what happened to the river ?

Right, very clear. The "problem" is known. I might be missing something
but, in general, I think my previous answer, and Achims suggestion,
covers "it".

> As explined, the shapefile are meant to serve as vector layer on my
> final topographic map; thus I'm using grass as middle-step, between
> qgis shapefile and inkscape. Im very interested in nikos'
> import-without-clean option: would this work out for me (eg: would it
> be possible to export the non-cleaned grass vector layer to svg) ?

Yes (for a nice map but you won't be good for using this for analysis).
Go ahead and try ;-)

Nikos