[GRASS-user] Running v.in.ogr in screen

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Nov 17 19:30:59 EST 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Markus Neteler wrote:

> (which GRASS version is that?)

   6.4svn from end of last week.

> I use screen regularly, a cool tool:
>
> Docs:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/screen/
> http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/screen/
>
> Usage:
> - Just run 'screen' and you are set.
> - To disconnect from the session press Control-A, Control-D.
> - To list your screens type 'screen -ls'
> - To reconnect with a disconnected screen run 'screen -r [number]'
>   ('number' you need if you have several screens running.)

Markus,

   Thank you. I've known of screen for a long time but never used it before
now.

   Can I create new mapsets in the same location from the command line? If
so, I suppose what I want to do is initiate two screen sessions, each
running v.in.ogr with a different source .e00 file and writing the output to
a different mapset.

   Yes, I've read the book (still 2nd ed.), but haven't used GRASS for years
before these past couple of weeks.

Much appreciated,

Rich