[GRASS-user] Strategy For DBMS Use

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 18 18:38:26 EST 2009

   I've read the docs for DBMS use with vector themes/layers and am left with
more questions than answers.

   Because my projects will involve only me I'll use SQLite.

   1) My initial impression is that I need a separate database for each layer
(i.e., one for highways, a separate one for streams & rivers, etc.). Is this
correct?

   2) Do I manually create the databases and specify table schema within each
location's dbf/ directory?

   3) If I want to write SELECT statments that JOIN tables in different
layers, then I need to open one database and attach the others. Is this done
within GRASS?

   I'm sure that I'll have more questions as I learn how to use SQLite with
vector attributes. The soils data in particular, has a couple of dozen
tables associated with it.

TIA,

Rich