[GRASS-user] Strategy For DBMS Use

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 18 19:58:51 EST 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Pablo Carreira wrote:

> I have very nice results with sqlite+GRASS.

Pablo,

   I've been using SQLite for several years; it's the back end to my
approximate reasoning model for environmental impact assessments.

> First, use an sqlite administrator software to make things easier.

   I'm a CLI guy and prefer working by typing.

> One database for each LOCATION, one table for each vector.

   That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

> One way of working is that You can put rivers, highways, power lines, etc.
> in the same "layer" and put a column in the table that describe what kind
> of object it is. You can play with CAT number too, like rivers is cat
> number x and highways is cat number y.

   I'll need to think about this. Right now I have three locations, based on
regional extent. Most layers are for the entire state, the DEM is for the
northwest portion of the state and the soils are for a single county.

> Try no to think as the obsolete shapefile style gis.

   I've never used ARC/View. I did use ARC/Info on the Prime in the late
1980s, and a bit of ARC/Info-PC in the same period. Most of the mapping I
did in the 1990s was with MapInfo running under VMware on a linux host. I
last upgraded that in 1996. :-) Haven't done any GIS work for about 6 years.

> I am a agronomist engineer an I have made soil maps and soil use maps with
> grass, just ask if you have more questions.

   And I'm a stream ecologist/fluvial geomorphologist so I'm sure I'll have
questions about antecedent soild moisture for the model I'm working toward
building.

Thanks,

Rich