[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 43, Issue 47

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Nov 21 23:38:29 EST 2009

Hi Bulent,

I had a chance to mess around with the inverted DEM idea tonight.
Here's what seemed to produce the best results for identifying peaks.

r.mapcalc 'inverted.DEM = -DEM'

Then I ran r.terraflow on the inverted DEM to get a filled, inverted DEM

r.terraflow elevation=inverted.DEM filled=terraflow.filled
tci=<required>

(note that you will have to specify the other output maps too, even if
you don't use them)

In the terraflow.filled map, I set the cells with value=0 to null
(places where the flow went off the edge of the map).
Then I subtracted the filled map from the inverted DEM to find the
sinks (=peaks of the original DEM)

r.mapcalc 'fill.difference =inverted.DEM-terraflow.filled'

If desired, these could then be inverted so that the larger the
number, the closer to the peak.

r.mapcalc 'peaks = -fill.difference'

The result is draped over a relief map.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/temp/peaks_from_terraflow.jpg

Compare with the minic peaks map from r.param.scale

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/temp/peaks.jpg

Michael

C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University