[GRASS-user] Project Area from Larger Region

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Mon Nov 23 14:25:04 EST 2009

>   I would appreciate points to create a defined subregion and apply one
>raster layer and a few vector layers to that subregion. I don't see an
>algorithm to do this in either the GRASS book or on the web site.
>
>   When I tried to define the region using coordinates identified when
>displaying one vector layer the values were rejected. In brief what I want
>to do is:
>
>   1) Identify the appropriate bounds that encompass the drainage basin in
>which the project is located.
>
>   2) Clip the larger regional DEM raster layer (probably using r.mask) to
>copy the project area into the new location.
>
>   2) Clip the vector layers (v.extract?) so they, too, can be copied into
>the new projection location.
>
>   3) Assign the relevant attribute SQLite data tables (db.connect) to this
>new region's vector layers.
>
>   After this I can start designing the model.
>
>   Pointers to what I should read to accomplish this will be appreciated.
>
>Rich

hi Rich,

maybe v.in.region could help you?
(http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/v.in.region.html)

- zoom to your area of interest of your larger region

-  v.in.region e.g. "v.in.region output=testarea", so  the extent of your area of interest is defined by the vector "testarea"

-  "g.region vect=testarea", by this  the region is set to your area of interest for analysis. "This region defines the geographic area in which all GRASS displays and raster analyses will be done." (http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/g.region.html)

hope this helps
Helmut