[GRASS-user] r.prominence

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 14:13:57 EST 2009

It's very simple. It really just averages the values of raster
cells for a neighbourhood window of a size m x n. It then determines
how much the cell in the window center deviates from that average.
Add some normalization and you get a map that shows you which cells
"stick out" most. Use it on a map with elevation values and you
can (tentatively) call that topographic prominence.
The module lets you choose different window sizes and shapes and
whether to use local (within window) or global (over whole map)
normalization.

Ben